Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 15:45:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, scott@statsci.com, gpalmer@cdrom.com, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, nwestfal@indigo.csci.csusb.edu, ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/distfiles - did I screw the pooch here?

Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?= wrote:

>  * How about two separate directories (/usr/ports, /usr/distfiles)?
>
> Well, where the user hold the distfiles on her system is irrelevant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least this subthread was about the
possibility to grab ports/ on any old ftp site with `get
ports.tar.gz' and without getting all the distfiles, no?

Someone (Jordan?)  suggested using symlinks to keep the distfiles
out of ports/ and I think we have established now that this won't
work due to the configuration of some (many?)  sites.  I think one
possible solution is having two different directories, one for the
ports, one for the tarballs.  Of course you're right, where the user
keeps zir files _is_ irrelevant, but we'd have to decide on one
setup and let the user override it, if desired.

>  * This requires only one change in bsd.ports.mk (${DISTDIR} or what
>  * was that variable again?)  and you could get ports.tar.gz on any
>  * mirror, regardless of its configuration.
>
> It's MASTER_SITES that is adding that directory on wcarchive as the
> fallback as the fallback when the port's specific one doesn't work.

OK, in the scheme above (two dirs) MASTER_SITES would be
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles;
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports would only contain the port
subdirs.  For easy setup I'd be using the same layout (at least as a
default) on the users disk (on the CD, in the distribution, ...),
overridable through ${DISTFILES} (which could be a path with a
default value of (in my scheme)
/usr/distfiles:/usr/local/distfiles:${HOME}/distfiles).  If the user
wants the same directory layout as in 2.0R, zie is free to link
/usr/ports/distfiles -> /usr/distfiles or set ${DISTFILES} directly.

Having said all this I just hope I'm not too far off the discussion
with my comments...

tg