Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:30:42 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ImageMagick upgrade problem

> From: David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:15:58 +0000

> > > Make sure that perl is compiled with threads  and.....
> > >
> > > for me I solved the problem by
> > > defining in /etc/make.conf.....PERL_THREADED=true
> > >
> > > it works, but the real solution is to fix the port
> > > either in IMagemagick or in perl ...
> >
> > Just 'make PERL_THREADED=true' is probably easier, but the port is
> > clearly broken. The logic is very oddly set out, but it relies on the
> > value of PERL_THREADED which neither the Makefile nor any of the .Mk
> > files defines. I assume that there was supposed to be some test of
> > whether perl supports threading that never quite made it.
> Tried the /etc/make.conf PERL_THREADED=true
> but still get the same result in graphics/ImageMagick:
>
> dns1# make clean
> ===>  Cleaning for perl-threaded-5.8.9_4
> ===>  Cleaning for ImageMagick-6.6.5.10
> dns1# make
> ===>  ImageMagick-6.6.5.10 OpenEXR requires threads. . Perl is non-threaded.
> Reinstall Perl with threads or undefine WITH_IMAGEMAGICK_PERL.
> *** Error code 1

I don't know why it is happening, but /etc/make.conf did not help. I had
to define it on the command lines:
$ make PERL_THREADED=true
$ make deinstall PERL_THREADED=true
$ make reinstall PERL_THREADED=true

This worked fine, but I don't see why it is different from putting it in
/etc/make.conf. Then again, I am way way far from being a make(1) expert.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)