Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:16:35 -0400
From:      "Grant Peel" <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Restaging from scratch

Hi all,

I have now completed creating a new server from scratch using FreeBSD 9.1
and ports.

The new setup uses: /, /usr, /var and /home.

These filesystems have been dumped to a memory stick (root.dump, var.dump
etc).

The plan now is to completely zero out the drives on the other servers and
use these file systems to build anew.

The way I would have done it with pre 9.1 (i.e. 8.x) would have been to boot
using a live cd  based filesystem, zero out the drive, create the 4 needed
filesystems using the graphical fdisk and disklable, mount the memstick and
rebuild the filesystems using the dumps.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to do this using gpart.

If anyone is willing to explain step by step, how to boot, create the
filesystems, and make the disk bootable using 9.1 & gpart etc I would
appreciate it!

Fyi the disk would be da0 (SCSI 74G ULTRA 320).

-G