Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:09:24 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RC3 Binary upgrade quirks

--==_Exmh_-1706674116P

If memory serves me right, Randy Pratt wrote:
> I did a successful binary upgrade on my test system of 4.4-RC2 to 4.4-RC3 but
>
> there are a couple of items that may need to be reviewed:
>
> Starting the Upgrade option from sysinstall resulted in the following message
> :
>
> 				Sorry
> 	The UPGRADE file is not provided on this particular floppy image.
>
> I've not tested a binary upgrade in quite some time (2.2.x) so I'm not sure
> if this is normal.  I'd think the document should be there if sysinstall is
> looking for it.

Mea culpa.

This happened becuase of my (perhaps over-zealous?) reorganization of
the *.TXT files that was a part of RELNOTESng.  There used to be an
UPGRADE.TXT (which would get installed into the MFSROOT filesystem),
but its content got folded into a more general-purpose installation
document, which eventually gets to the boot floppies as INSTALL.TXT.

The quickest fix I can think of would be to create a new
src/release/sysinstall/help/upgrading.txt (or some text from within the
sysinstall program itself) that points users to the right section of the
INSTALL.TXT that they can read from the main Documentation menu.

Another alternative would be to just display INSTALL.TXT in its place,
although I don't like that because the user isn't going to realize why
she's seeing it, unless she scrolls all the way down to bottom third of
the document.

A third alternative is to put an excerpt of INSTALL.TXT in the help
directory, although I don't want to have to resync the excerpt whenever
the main document changes.

Thanks for finding this.  Clearly I haven't done a binary upgrade in
awhile myself.

Bruce.

PS.  Release engineer type folks...I'll work up a patch for your
perusal.  I presume we can fix up sysinstall for -CURRENT after the
release goes out.

--==_Exmh_-1706674116P

--==_Exmh_-1706674116P--