Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:34:28 -0500
From:      Richard Linane <Typh0on@concentric.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Gamma Install Problem

Richard Linane wrote:

> J Wunsch wrote:
> >
> > As Richard Linane wrote:
> >
> > > When I press ALT-F2 this is displayed:
> > >
> > > gunzip: stdin: invalid comp data--format violated
> > > /stand/cpio/: premature end of file
> > > Debug: switching back to VTY1
> >
> > Anything before this?
> >
> > --
> > cheers, J"org
> >
> > joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> > Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)
> Yes but this looks like an uncompress though
> /stand/cpio:  usr/bin/nvi  linked to usr/bin/ex
> usr/bin/ex
> /stand/cpio:  usr/bin/nvi  linked to usr/bin/view
> usr/bin/view
> usr/bin/vis
> usr/bin/w
> /stand/cpio:  usr/bin/w  linked to usr/bin/uptime
> usr/bin/uptime
> usr/bin/wall
> usr/bin/wc
> usr/bin/what
> usr/bin/whereis
> usr/bin/which
> usr/bin/who
> usr/bin/whois
> usr/bin/window
> usr/bin/write
> usr/bin/xargs
>
> gunzip: stdin: invalid comp data--format violated
> /stand/cpio/: premature end of file
> Debug: switching back to VTY1
>
> >Thats exactly what had been displayed<
You had asked: How big is the Dos Partitian I  installing from..
It is 2.146 GIG Bytes
And what is the Geometry of the Drive I'm installing to..
The Geometry is >> 2446 cyls  16 heads 63 S/T 512 B/s

After the failed installation this I presses ALT-F2 ( DEBUG Mode) and
found it had stopped at the same place listed above.
I had it try a second retrieve..it failed and reported this..
Unable to Extract the following distributions ..bin 100%..
They were not available on the installation media you've chosen.

I then pressed ALT-F2 again ( DEBUG Mode) and this was printed on
screen.
Debug: Parse config: Invalid caracter 'p' at line 0Debug Switching back
to VTY1

I think I'm going to disconnect my source drive and start the whole
proccess over again as a single drive installation from floppies...
...at least the 'bin' distribution any way.