Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:06:55 -0800
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, "John L. Utz III" <john@utzweb.net>, Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:00:55PM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Marc van Kempen wrote:
> > If you'd just say "Bill you're an **** for insulting me the way that
> > you do, but I have since researched the mailing list and commit logs
> > and acknowledge that you have made a big contribution to the whole java
> > porting process and more specifically to the hotspot port, and we would
> > have certainly consulted you had I known."
> >
> > Now is that so hard?
>
> You know, one doesn't typically -demand- recognition.

Not in a function group, no. But this isn't the case.

> If you're working on something of your own volition "for fun" you can't
> seriously expect anything for your efforts.  If you require some sort of
> compensation you're free make that a condition for others to use your
> work.

Sure, you can. I can expect the my work be respect, recognized and that
this earns a kind of status in a group. That's the point of the entire
thing otherwise they're basically stealing my work without recognizing
me.

> Rational people don't go stomping around demanding that the world be
> perfect for them.

When you've done something the key and critical to a project you
shouldn't be shitted by your peers or anybody else. If I had been
properly recognized as a technical lead in this group then it wouldn't
have been a problem. So, yes, I have to toot my horn so that the
absolute idiots in this group realize that I did this significant
and groundbreaking work.

That was never question until John and Nate conspired against any
kind of reasonable recognition of my role in the group. That's just
fucked up any way you cut it.

bill