Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:20:05 -0600
From:      Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: proper shutdown command

Reading the manpage for shutdown and for halt:

HALT sends all running processes a SIGTERM and then a SIGKILL if needed

SHUTDOWN runs through the INIT shutdown scripts

What does this mean? If ALL your processes can be shutdown via a SIGTERM then
you're fine, but if you have processes like a MySQL db or something which
needs a special shutdown command passed to it in order to exit cleanly or
process something, this will not be executed and data corruption or something
else nasty "could" occur.

Hope that helped.

Henrik