Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:17:33 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Peter J. Blok" <Peter.Blok@inter.NL.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vlan traffic over ipsec tunnel

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 01:18:16PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> failing that, I have just had "contributed"
> some code that produces an actual "vlan" netgraph node.
> You attach it to the ethernet node.. I'm still
> reading it to work out what it does..

One thing worth noting.  I'm pretty sure that a netgraph vlan node is
going to have all sorts of trouble with cards that support hardware vlan
decoding (that's most of the gigabit Ethernet cards).  The problem is that
vlan'd frames won't make it to ether_input at all.  I believe the correct
solution is to implement a nic capability which can be used to turn this
support on and off like we're supposed to be able to do for hardware
checksuming.  Alternativly, the current driver code could be modified
to fake up a vlan header and then call ether_input with the packet when
the vlan driver isn't loaded (it currently discards the packet.)  There
may even be something to be said for doing both.

-- Brooks

--=20

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--