Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:44:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tuning web benchmarks

Hi all:)

We're installing a half dozen big web servers this season (P-II/450+, 512
MB ram).  Right now I'm trying to run some benchmarks to see what needs
tuning.

It appears that the benchmarking clients are what need the tuning so far.
We're using "ab" (apache benchmark) which ships with apache.  When running
it with even moderate levels of concurrency (100 clients pulling data at
once) it runs for a few seconds, then dies with a "Broken pipe" message.
I can trace this back to a SIGPIPE error, which I *think* is coming from
this section of code:

static void start_connect(struct connection *c)

    c->read = 0;
    c->bread = 0;
    c->keepalive = 0;
    c->cbx = 0;
    c->gotheader = 0;

    c->fd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
    if (c->fd < 0)
        err("socket");
    [snip]
    exit(errno);

After the "Broken pipe" message it dies with a returncode of 141.

The particulars: running 3.2 off the release CD, maxusers set to 256,
otherwise a pretty generic kernel.  Running processes as root.  System has
256 MB ram, 450 MHz P-III (asus p2B-d MB).  The server has 2 450 MHz P-III
with 512 MB ram, but the problems come with smp/apic configured or not.
No interesting messages show up in dmesg or /var/log/*

It looks like it's having trouble creating all the open sockets, and quits
at the first such occurance.

Any hints as to what to look for next?

Thanks,

--- David Miller