Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2019 14:50:10 +0900
From:      Denis Polygalov <dpolyg@gmail.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, Johannes Lundberg <johalun@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raspberry pi 4
References:  <20190709161243.GC4904@mon.zyxst.net> <HZPxf8oyosxDF2kVxJHXYBDY9ULZtF5VHU8FnEslTS9JS-dMsA1G61OnXEHmL0xUVPqZTeF2Q_Z9F58Su81uDDiX86do5d3mqFG7q4teJlw=@protonmail.com> <CAHxjC0-VJmQK=feqAb2H9sSAwHXo8=KTYr3Os72WBB58SaoiMg@mail.gmail.com> <20190710031750.GB28522@lonesome.com> <5fcba83d-2207-accc-ab33-a33085c80753@FreeBSD.org> <35ec822f78362b6b88e25f399fddcf501a327722.camel@freebsd.org> <2aabd4ed-67b8-0ea3-5616-fb4f1d418ba0@FreeBSD.org> <551442d20b86697759baaf250ddfe6e7eaf2c423.camel@freebsd.org>

 > RPi and Beaglebone.  These are "legacy" boards that were the first ones
 > to run freebsd when we started adding armv6/7 support.
 > The other arm32 things basically range from "supported, but not much
 > ongoing activity" to "nobody has touched it for years, hard to call it
 > supported".

One interesting thing about Beaglebone - seems like it provides
functionality missing in other SBC including RPis:
https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/586.php
(I don't know does FreeBSD support RPUs in BB image or not)

'Zooming out' this discussion and trying to generalize
various interests of people playing/working with SCBs
it seems for me that there are 3 categories of boards:

1. A board interacting with user mostly via screen/GUI,
(laptop, POS terminal, kiosk) so the GPU support is essential.
All other peripheral devices are more or less standard.

2. High I/O throughput and headless (router, NAS).
In this case obviously things like data pipes:
SATA/PCIe/USB3.0/1G/10G Ethernet are essential
but the rest of peripheral devices are standard.

3. SBC designed to be connected to non-standard hardware
(sensors, actuators etc.) and require (close to)hard real
time support.

Regards,
Denis.