Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:30:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, Gregory_D_Moncreaff@ccmail.ed.ray.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can you install and run FreeBSD on a Iomega Jaz cartridge?

> > I boot Solaris, NetBSD, and OpenBSD off of the JAZ drive with
> > the "turbo" button "on".
>
> Fair enough.  Perhaps there is some other bogon in my system that causes
> it not to work.

Try this:

1)	Power on your machine
2)	Wait for SCSI bus probe
3)	Insert the media

This is necessary on the Alpha, or the disk does not spin up...

> > Heh... I don't think, after looking at a Kawai Km, which expects it's
> > SCSI device to not return until the low level format is complete,
> > that *any* IOmega drive is built for musicians.  A number of Yahama
> > boxes expect the same thing from their SCSI devices as well, and
> > since the Bernoulli days, IOmega drives have detached following
> > format.
>
> Who formats SCSI drives?  How many musicians even know it's possible? 8)

All the musicians who buy JAZ drives and don't want to spend another
$120 on media because the default tools disk is software "locked", of
course, since you would never want to delete your DOS utilities...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.