Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:19:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@lists.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird NFSvs rdirplus issues

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Mike Andrews wrote:
>
> > I've been experimenting with readdirplus and running into two bizarre situations.
> >
> > Bizarre situation #1 is the easy one: when you try to put the acdirmin/max
> > and acregmin/max options on an NFS filesystem in /etc/fstab, mount
> > (actually mount_nfs) will dump core on 4.9-RELEASE-p4 but not on
> > 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3:
> >
> > # grep acreg /etc/fstab
> > server:/fs /mnt nfs,ro,-lis,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=1,acregmin=0,acregmax=1 0 0
> > # mount /mnt
> > mount: server:/fs: Segmentation fault
>
> What happens if you change "-lis" to "rdirplus,soft,intr,nfsv3"?
> Readdirplus is a v3 call so it might imply it anyway, but best to be safe.

Same thing.  It's definitely using v3.  The default is to try 3 then back
down to 2, but I did try explicitly forcing 3 and it made no difference.

Though that does bring up another point: it would be nice if 'mount' (with
no arguments) would tell you what your currently active options are, like
it does for ufs.  I did find some discussion of this in the archives, but
no definitive indication that it was planned (and it's not in 5.2.1...)

Mike Andrews  *  mandrews@bit0.com  *  http://www.bit0.com
"The truth is, you never find the truth."     Carpe cavy!
It's not news, it's Fark.com.