Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:54:39 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mail.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com>
Subject:   Re: A few words about the logo change

Hi,

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> More accurately, one has a devil image and one doesen't.  The most

I would say that the "unleashed" has an even more diabolic front cover.
It looks to me like a devil's face with two glowing eyes looking out of
hell.

> BSDI and even the FreeBSD website today use that image.  However the
> devil/demon image has long been associated with UNIX and it's use

This is one important reason for keeping beastie as it is.

I also had to look into some book to refresh my memory of Greek history
when I heard of "daemons" the very first time in the late seventies when
I have had my first contact with Unix at the univerity.

Of course, people ignoring everything which does not fit their horizon
will make an issue out of this.

But who will give FreeBSD the guarantee that the removal of beastie as a
logo will be the last issue?

I think that this will just open the gates.

Erich