Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 1980 21:09:59 -0800
From:      Michael Nichols <mnichols@vt.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mnichols@vt.edu
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD

I have been attempting to install FreeBSD 2.0.5 which I purchased on a
custom cd from my college.  My problems are as follows:  My college
provided me with some sort of custom boot.flp to use. I am unable to use
the -c parameter at boot up to configure my scd0 to port 340.  If I use a
boot.flp that I download elsewhere I can configure the scd0 but then the
installation looks for the files in a different location then on my cd.
(This is because the college fills the cd with various software, placing
each one in a seperate directory.)  Since that did not work I thought I
could copy the files for a minimal installation to my hard drive.
However, when I attempt to install from the hard drive shortly after the
swap files are created I get an unable to locate root distribution error.
 I have installed all the files in a directory call freebsd as per
instuctions I read but still have this problem.  I thought that I
might just download freebsd from the net but I am not sure what I
should download.  Any ideas or suggestions on how to get around either of
these problems so I can install would be greatly appriciated.