Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 15:20:17 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended laptops for FreeBSD 6.x ...

On Friday 11 May 2007 02:53 pm, Wes Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2007, Kiffin Gish wrote:
> > I'm looking to purchase a new laptop and was wondering which laptops
> > are recommended for a high-end system.
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> I've always loved Toshiba laptops. I'm running -current on a Tecra M5,
> which is my 3rd Toshiba. It should run -stable no problem. You'll just
> need to run the binary HDA driver to get sound support. And of course,
> SMP is much better in -current anyway (-current has always been
> extraordinarliy stable for me IMO).

The Satellite line of Toshiba laptops are pretty much crap.  I've yet to
find a Satellite user that likes their laptop.  Even when running Windows
XP on it.  Getting non-Windows OSes running on them tends to be a
frustrating endeavor.

The Satellite Pro line is just slightly better, but not much.

I've heard great things about the Tecra line, although I've never used on
personally.
--
Freddie Cash
fcash@ocis.net