Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux h

:>
:>     disklabel -w -r da0s1 auto        (label it)
:
:Disklabel can not label slices.  For a project I had to work on receently
:I hacked up a slicelabel tool that used libdisk (which can handle slices)
:to initialize the disklabels in slices.  The code for the slicelabel
:command is quite short:
:..
:John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/

    Thanks for the program.

    I think, however, that the proper solution is to make disklabel work
    with slices.  We shouldn't need three programs to label a disk...
    if fdisk and disklabel can't do the job then our distribution is broken.

    I am going to spend some time researching the problem to see if I can
    come up with a 'disklabel' solution for labeling slices.  It would
    also be nice if someone could figure out why our 'dangerously dedicated'
    partition fails with some BIOSes ... it should be possible to fix it if
    someone could track down what exactly is causing the divide-by-0 !

						-Matt