Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 97 11:31:36 EST
From:      "Sichao Wang" <wangs@ttc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question on TCPDUMP with FreeBSD

     I am trying to get TCPDUMP work in our FreeBSD machine,
     and getting some problems. Here is what i did: I added
     one line in the kernel file

        - cd /sys/i386/conf
        - cp GENERIC MYGENERIC
        - vi MY GENERIC    # add one line, pseudo-device bpf 4
        - cd /dev
        - ./MAKEDEV bpf1   # bpf0 is there by default
        - ./MAKEDEV bpf2
        - ./MAKEDEV bpf3   # now bpf0-bpf3 are created

      Then i rebuilt the kernel.

     In an xterm window, i type "tcpdump host wiggle" (note wiggle is
     a remote node, BSD machine can PING that node without problem).
     I got error "ix0: Device not Configured". ix0 is the NIC interface
     name for my IntelExpress network card.

     I need your suggestions on this problem. Please send to me
     at : wants@ttc.com. I will post the correct answer to the
     BSD community later on.

     Sichao Wang
     TTC Coporation