Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:27:51 -0800
From:      "Edwin D. Vinas" <xmisoy@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: connecting a FreeBSD-4.10 to Internet using DSL with static ip address

Hello everyone!

I have a FreeBSD-4.10 machine and a newly connected DSL with static ip
address. The DSL connection setup uses an ADSL modem (SMC7901BRA)
which has 1 connection to my phone line and 1 connection to my LAN
card using UTP cable. In Windows XP setup, the process of setting up
Internet is just as easy as configuring the TCP/IP prpoerties with the
static ip address given to me and other details such as gateway, dns,
subnet mask etc.

My machine has a dual-boot WinXP and FreeBSD-4.10. As I've said above,
I can easily connect to the Internet using the WinXP. But, I want to
try FreeBSD to connect to the Internet, but it doesn't work.

Here's what I did to test if I can connect to Internet via DSL using FreeBS=
D:
1. Reboot or boot to FreeBSD-4.10
2. Login as root
3. /stand/sysinstall to assign IP address, gateway, and dns
4. Reboot machine to make sure new IP settings take effect
5. Do an ifconfig and see that the IP settings are correct
6. I can ping my own IP address (static IP address of the DSL assigned
by my ISP)
7. When I try to ping the ISP's given gateway, I receive "ping to:
Host is down".
8. Seeing the modem status, the "LAN" and "SYNC" signals are up but
the "DATA" is off.

I have tried searching the net with FreeBSD+DSL but all I can read is
about "PPPoE" which requires a "username" and "password" which I don't
have. My DSL account is an "always on" account with a static IP
address and I guess it doesnt have a username/password for connection
to the ISP.

Does FreeBSD need to detect my DSL modem if it is connected to the NIC
using a UTP cable connected to the modem? Here's my setup:

[DSL modem]<--------->[DSL Provider] (provides static IP address)

[FreeBSD's LAN card]

Here's the modem's technical description:
https://secure.quicksolve.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D&products=
_id=3D2991
http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/info.php?cid=3D113&id=3D11104

Does anybody has an experience connecting FreeBSD to a DSL with a
static IP address and has similar setup above?

Actually my real purpose is to use FreeBSD as LAN gateway using the
DSL connection. But I wanna try first connecting the FreeBSD machine
as a stand-alone PC which uses the simple setup above. If this setup
works, the gateeway setup will surely work too.

Thank you very much!

--=20
--
Edwin D. Vi=F1as