Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 17:12:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fixing other people's code (was: world broken in vinum (PATCH))

> On Friday,  2 July 1999 at 15:26:35 -0400, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> >
> >> Here's the fix. I'm sure it's not absolutely the same as what Greg will have,
> >> but if anyone wants to commit it, it will fix world.
> >
> > I know I _could_ commit it, but it's someone else's work that's being actively
> > maintained. It still does break world, but I don't think I have authority to
> > commit over Greg's work.
>
> I personally think that, in such a case, you'd be justified to commit
> it as a temporary measure.  Due to the difference in time zones, this
> has hit people while I've been asleep.  That doesn't mean the commit
> would stay, of course, but at least it would save people unnecessary
> pain.  Note, of course, that I have now committed the correct file,
> which I had forgotten last night.
>
> What do you others think?

opinion:

If it's really blocking folks because things don't compile, it is always
acceptable to do what you need to do- the tree should always compile even
if -current. If the system doesn't boot because of change, then that's an
obvious one too. If things work differently or not as well, but things
are more or less working, it's not an emergency, so leave it for the
author to fix.