Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 110 12:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil (Craig Huckabee)
Cc:        jimd@sun4.mcafee.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupid ftpd question

> > > 	How can I set up my FreeBSD anonymous ftp server so that it
> > > 	defaults to transfer type 'binary' instead of 'ascii'?   I'm using
> > > 	wu-ftpd out of the ports collection on a 2.1-RELEASE machine.
> > > 	Since everything I will have online will be images (CAD files)
> > > 	I want to go ahead and default transfer type to 'binary'.
> > 	That's not a stupid question at all.
> > 	That answer....on the other hand....
> > 		As far as I know the transfer type is purely a client
> > 		side configuration matter.  In other words --
> > 			I doubt that you can (via ftp).
> Here's what makes me think you can :
> mispwoso>ftp ftp.freebsd.org
> Connected to wcarchive.cdrom.com.
> 220 wcarchive.cdrom.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4(13) Wed Apr 3 01:05:49 PST 1996) ready.
> Name (ftp.freebsd.org:huck): ftp
> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
> Password:
> 230-Welcome to wcarchive - home ftp site for Walnut Creek CDROM.
> [SNIP]
> 230-  it was last modified on Mon Mar 25 20:51:20 1996 - 71 days ago
> 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   Interesting, no?
>   --Craig

	Not particularly.  *Your* client asks for the remote system type
	and sets it's default mode.  If you used a Windoze client
	or LAN Workplace for DOS, or "Wild Joe Cool's new FTP"
	you might not get similar results.

	As I said -- it's controlled by the client (as far as I know).
	You're welcome to find an RFC to prove me wrong.  The only
	practical effect of that would be to show that a bunch of
	ftp clients aren't compliant with that.

	I run a high volume ftp site (~300 - 500 concurrent ftp sessions
	all day, every day).  I exchange mail with some admins at
	other high volume sites, and I read alot of netnews (particularly
	in the comp.os, comp.unix, and related hierarchies).  One of the
	most common problems has always been and continues to be
	"this file was corrupted" (forgot to force 'bin' mode).

	The original question amounted to:

		Is there any way to force bin mode for all ftp clients?

	The gist of my response was:

		If you find one -- let us all know!

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,