Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:33:28 -0400
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with setting up a mail server

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:26:44 -0400
Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> articulated:

> I am a consultant and was retained by my client to setup qmail or exim
> on a VPS running 8.0-STABLE (i386). After setting up the DNS (A record
> and MX record) we have been unable to send or receive mail. The client
> has/had a working script for installing qmail on 7.1-STABLE but it
> seems to not work on 8.0-STABLE. They are using the same VPS provider
> who this 7.1-STABLE install script worked under. I have tried
> everything I can think of to make it work including asking obvious
> questions on -questions@.
>
> I informed the client that the task is likely beyond me capabilities
> but I would help recruit someone who would be able to do it at a
> reasonable fee paid to them (I am acting as a no cost middle man on
> this [I am helping the client for free since I was unable to get it
> done]).
>
> Please send any ideas and/or offers to do the job

I would seriously suggest that you consider installing Postfix. It is
in the ports tree, is well maintained and works out of the box. The
Postfix forum will be glad to give you any advice you need for setting
up and securing your mail server. Qmail is no longer supported by its
author and can be a nightmare to maintain.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net

"I kind of want to slay the dragon. Let's go to work."

	Angel's final words.