Date:      06 Aug 2001 10:42:33 -0700
From:      swear@aa.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        judmarc@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xemacs and Gnus (was Re: Wrapper Won't Install on XFree86-4.1)

Jud <judmarc@mindspring.com> writes:

> I built the Xemacs 21.1.14 port, then built the gnus-emacs
> port using the directions for installing Gnus at the following page:
>
> http://mwiehl.socha.net/Gnus/tutorial/html/gnus-tutorial_2.html#SEC4
>
> But no joy - Xemacs gives me the message that the "symbol 'gnus' is
> void," or something like that...

There's something badly missing from the ports system, namely a way to
determine what ports/packages to use when there are multiple versions
and related-packages.  There are "meta" ports, but they are not well-
enough developed or not enough of them or at least not well documented.

Anyway, have you tried installing
/usr/ports/editors/xemacs-comm-packages/  ?

That looks like the port with the Gnus I'm probably using.

I will also say that configuring Gnus can be a loooooooong process.

A question for you:  What's the etiquette on addressing mailing list
mail?  (I've limitted myself to newsgroups until now.)  Are people
expected to have their mail readers set up to drop mail from both
the human and the list server?  Is it OK to reply only to the list
so those with crummy readers don't get two?