Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2008 17:01:31 -0600
From:      Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, phill@sysctl.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 Content

Phillip Salzman wrote:
> An easy answer would be to put the web-browser and such the first
> disk, but
> I don't think it would solve anything.  If it kept with those,
> FreeBSD would
> find itself just moving towards the same work being done at PC-BSD,
> wouldn't
> it?

When I see almost 200 MB free on disc1 of 7.0, and I remember the
handy apps & pkgs which used to be on past releases of FreeBSD, I do
not see it as moving towards PC-BSD as much as I see it as going back
to what FreeBSD used to have just a few releases ago.
In truth, for workstations and laptops at least, most of us do want a
web browser.  Not having a decent web browser out of the box in 2008
after 15 years of web browser development gives BSD a really archaic
look and feel.  We all know that BSD is the best, most solid OS out
there - but occasionally we need to do a bit of marketing, we need to
show our stuff to let others see that "we get it".
Dan