Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:40:25 +0000
From:      Mike Zanker <A.M.Zanker@open.ac.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reboot after intense disk activity

I've been having a problem ever since I moved from 2.2.8-STABLE to
3.0-CURRENT (all elf). After long periods of intense disk activity (e.g. rm
-rf * in /usr/obj or a make world) my keyboard seems to become less
responsive and I can hear a quick burst of disk activity with each key
press. On a couple of occasions the machine has then frozen for a few
seconds (with the disk LED lit) and then rebooted. This happened last night
following a cvsup of RELENG_3, removal of /usr/obj then a make buildworld.
My system is current as of 16/1/99. When the machine reboots there are no
core files, nothing unexpected in /var/log/messages and only around 128K of
swap used (out of 160MB).

Machine spec:

P133, Intel 82371FB IDE controller, 2GB Seagate IDE disk, 3.2GB Quantum
hard disk, 80MB RAM, 4MB Matrox Mystique 220 graphics card.

Please let me know if further information is needed.

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike Zanker, Academic Computing Service, The Open University, UK
Tel: +44 1908 652726, Fax: +44 1908 652193

Views expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect University opinion.