Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:37:34 +0200
From:      John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>
To:        Stavros Markou <stma@antcor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to build root filesystem for ixp425

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 03:54:03PM +0300, Stavros Markou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You are using this script with which release of FreeBSD ? In order to
> use this script do you set as tools the cross tools or native i386 (or
> any other host arch) ?

I do not need to set anything else for it to work. I do sometimes
set things like NO_PROFILE, but that is only to speed things up. It
will build the crosstools by itself as needed. You only need a checked
out /usr/src tree. The box(es) I run this on are i386 boxes.

Just to check, I started the buildworld line (the first one) on my
home box, which is running 7-stable from Aug 17, and it fired up
without a problem... It will take a while to finish though, but I do
not forsee a problem. I'll send you an email if it does not finish.

> I am using currently 7.0 release p2 and i cannot pass the error with
> cross build (keeps telling me to set TARGET_ARCH but it is already set
> by me as a command-line option of the make)

I mostly do this on 7-stable, sorry I rarely run releases and never pX
releases. I also often do it on current and it has been a while since
I have done it on 6-stable.

Thinking about it, maybe you should remove all your env settings,
and then try just that buildworld line of mine. If that does not work,
clean out your /usr/obj and usr/src directories and get a new copy of
/usr/src and try again. If it then still do not work, show us the
error message.

> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 14:49 +0200, John Hay wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:42:26AM +0300, Stavros Markou wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to build a root filesystem using the mini guide at
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~cognet/freebsd_arm.txt but with no luck for
> > > IXP425. Just to clarify some things :
> > >
> > > When i am doing a buildworld inside /usr/src all these env variables
> > > inside the mini guide must be exported ?
> > > What about BUILD_ARCH ? By default i am building a filesystem at a i386
> > > machine so BUILD_ARCH has the i386 value.
> > >
> > > I am using Freebsd 7.0 and i also have seen the wiki for AVILA but i got
> > > the same Makefile.inc1 error for setting TARGET_ARCH (even though i am
> > > setting TARGET_ARCH=arm)
> > > I have build the kernel which is loaded fine but when the root
> > > filesystem is mounted via NFS i get : exec /sbin/init : error 8 , so i
> > > think that maybe the root filesystem i 've built is not right.
> >
> > My script do this:
> >
> > rm -rf /armdist
> > chflags -R 0 /armdist
> > rm -rf /armdist
> > mkdir /armdist
> > make TARGET_ARCH=arm TARGET_CPUTYPE=xscale TARGET_BIG_ENDIAN=true buildworld
> > make TARGET_ARCH=arm TARGET_CPUTYPE=xscale TARGET_BIG_ENDIAN=true DESTDIR=/armdist installworld
> > make TARGET_ARCH=arm TARGET_CPUTYPE=xscale TARGET_BIG_ENDIAN=true DESTDIR=/armdist distribution
> >
> > John

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@meraka.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org