Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 2015 13:31:02 +0300
From:      Arto Pekkanen <isoa@kapsi.fi>
To:        mfv@bway.net
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggestion to add build/revision number to "pkg stats"

--hg4Q6whAGsTb9jWOHEe7Q1Tc3s9va5lu9

On 23.9.2015 23:37, mfv wrote:
> The following website may provide an answer to Arto's question as to
> when a build begins.
>=20
>   https://pkg-status.freebsd.org/

Okay, cool, thanks. I really had no idea this site existed.

Now I can parse the start time of build from that site, and then sync a p=
orts tree by svn revision date. Well, at least until there is a revision =
number or a start of build date available in pkg stats, which would be ni=
ce.
=20
> I've tried to sync the ports tree and packages based on a date but have=

> not been able to identify one.  However, between a date and a build
> number my guilt feeling is that the latter is the safer option.

My gut feeling says that there is no difference in "safety" between the o=
ptions. Both options allow to sync a ports tree to be in line with the re=
pository you are using during a specific span of time.

I have a rationale for this. You see, the primary repository of ports is =
hosted with Subversion aka svn. Svn permanently records the dates of each=
 commit along with the revision number. You can ask "give me the latest r=
evision of the ports tree that existed just before this specific time ple=
ase", and you get what you wanted.

Not all repository tools support this (in GIT it is a lot less reliable t=
o check out revisions by date). But SVN does, and this is all that matter=
s, since you can sync your ports tree with svn alone.