Date:      Wed, 18 May 2005 23:49:33 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disabling dependency on esound in ports builds

Is there any standardized technique (using portupgrade's
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf) for disabling the inclusion of esound for
ports which depend on it?  I find esound to be a troublesome package
which often results in the slowing down or chopping up of audio playback
when the system is under moderate to heavy load.

For instance, I experimented tonight with building audio/madplay via
portupgrade.  I found that adding WITHOUT_GNOME=yes to the port's
MAKE_ARGS caused the resulting package to be named as simply "madplay",
rather than "madplay-esound", yet an "ldd `which madplay`" showed that
the resulting binary was still linked against esound.  Next, I removed
WITHOUT_GNOME=yes and added CONFIGURE_ARGS+="--without-esd", which did
indeed produce a binary that did not rely on esound, yet the installed
package was still named as "madplay-esound".

The only way, it seems, to correctly produce a madplay package that does
not depend on esound and whose name reflects this fact is to use both
CONFIGURE_ARGS+="--without-esd" and WITHOUT_GNOME=yes in the port's
MAKE_ARGS in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.

I'm just wondering if there's a better, standard way to ensure that a
given port will not link against esound.  If not, perhaps we should try
to come up with something.  I really don't want *any* of my audio ports
to depend on esound, and it would be nice if there were a clear, simple,
logical and consistent way to do this.

Thanks!

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"