Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:01:16 +0000
From:      Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFQ] make witness panic an option

On 11/15/12, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 15 November 2012 09:56, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>>> Do you really think that an abusable mechanism will help here rather
>
>> It sounds like he's more worried about introducing LoRs into his wireless
>> code. They are harmless, for him, and he can fix them by reloading the
>> driver. They are only harmful if he loses a race.
>
> LOR's and lock assertions. Ie, I want to find out at run time that a
> lock wasnt' held at a certain position but continue soldiering on.
> That's how I've been finding out all of the races in net80211/ath, as
> there wasn't locking where there needed to be.

I think that your worries are focused more around the latter than the
former, which can be easilly shut down already today.

And frankly I will never be in favor of a patch that automatically
shutdowns lock assertion. Please patch your local code to do so but
don't add any generic/upstream/all-around mechanism for that.

Attilio