Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:06:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
To:        Mike Nichols <nicholsmi@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Internal console doesn't work with SRM/FreeBSD

> running on.  As long as I use the serial console, everything works
> beautifully.  But I can't for the life of me get the internal console to
> work with SRM and/or FreeBSD!  If I switch to the ARC console ("set os_type

	Who wants to bet this is the same TGA (21030) issue I had last
week with my Alphastation 200?

	Check your video card.  It's probably a 21030-based card.  Mine
has four dipswitches on it.  Try flipping one or more of them- these
select the console video mode.  The default is (I think) 1280x1024 at some
weird vertical rate.  Reset and you should see the SRM come up if the mode
is something your monitor can support.  I don't have a table of these
swicth settings nor can I find one on line, but I have mine in a usable
1024x768 mode.

	However.. this won't help as far as FreeBSD is concerned.  No
console support for the TGA cards.  The kernel will start, but the
installer hangs because it doesn't have a driver for the video.

	I found that it all worked in serial console as well.  Replacing
the video card with a ATI Mach64 worked to get it fully functional with
local KB+graphics.  A TGA driver is on its way.

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f $zig; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1