Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 20:28:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        eischen@vigrid.com (Daniel Eischen)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> > > I'll compromise with you - we keep ed1, which I'm going to fold over
> > > since it seems so many WD/NE have a conflicting view of what a
> > > "standard setting" is.  sio2/3 have already gone and I can hardly
> > > accept the argument that 4 port PCs are any kind of norm.  I've seen
> > > literally hundreds of different PC configurations and in all but a few
> > > very rare cases, it's always the same 2 ser/1 par/1 game combo.
> >
> > One mouse, one modem, ports full.
> >
> > Now try to add anything.  Think of how many serial gizmo's are out there.
> > Any home hacker has a mouse and modem, as an absolute freaking minimum.
> > Anybody doing anything interesting has more.  Like...
>
> I feel like I don't belong here, but...
>
> I have to agree with Joe.  How many people have internal modems on COM3/4?
> How about a PPP install for them?

Last week I was working off site with the mouse and a serial
line connected to a device I was testing and I had to add a modem.  I was
happily surprised to find my GENERIC derived kernel had a third
serial port configured in it.  I know I can build a kernel, but
I hadn't built a kernel on that particular machine before and I
wasn't at the office.  Murphy could have struck.

I consider GENERIC to be GENERIC and not MINIMAL - maybe you need
a new target.

I doubt it costs much - I suggest leaving the third com port in.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936