Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PMAP_SHPGPERPROC: related to pagedaemon?

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, David Greenman wrote:

>    PMAP_SHPGPERPROC controls the default number of struct pv_entry that the
> system allocates kernel virtual memory for.

	Thank you very much for the explanation, that makes things
much more clear.

>    I don't know what's going on with your system, but it's definately unusual
> to hit this limit under normal circumstances.

	*Nod* well, we do a lot of "unusual" things around here. :) Given
your explanation I think that the culprit is probably apache. The virtual
host file has approximately 16k hosts. The VSZ on each process is about
51M, and the RSS is around 31M. At any given time there are usually 10-15
running. However the boxes have 512M of physical ram so they don't swap.

	Apache is forking off several CGI engine processes per second, so
that's probably (at least to my limited understanding) where we're hitting
this limit. It only seems to be happening with certain customer's scripts,
two of them in particular are exiting with either a sig 10 or a sig 6
right around the time I'm seeing these pv entry errors. I'm not sure if
it's related or not, I'm still looking into it.

Thanks again,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter