Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:55:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        oppermann@pipeline.ch (Andre Oppermann)
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, mike@smith.net.au, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 6 days to C-DAY

> The only problem I can see is the new US copyright law; it's no longer
> allowed to have/produce/sell technologie that enables you copy/analyse/
> modify copyrighted work.

Utter bilge.

What isn't allowed is use of a copyrighted work in violation of
license, which, in the case of software, generally disallows
disassembly or reverse engineering, where such restrictions may
be enforced (ie: in Germany, you can disassemble the code anyway,
to document interfaces, but you can't use the code in your own
work).

Musical works are not licensed (generally, unless you are a movie
studio, a rapper who wants to leech off a Queen song, or a 16 year
old girl who can't write her own songs, etc.), they are published,
instead.

Generally, production of songs on CD's is licensed to record producers,
who then sell into a market for which things like "First North American
Publishing Rights" have been contractually given.

Once you have a CD, however, you own it.  Just like a book, where
the publisher has been granted "First North American Publishing
Rights".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---