Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2010 02:05:49 -0500
From:      Corey John Bukolt <ruinermailchucker@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Also have a dead box [ WAS: Re: OT: dead box ]

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:23:34 +0000 (06:23 CDT) Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> When you press the power button does the cpu fan or the power supply fan
> spin for a moment then stop? That's a sign that something on or plugged
> in to the motherboard has blown. Unplug things and test again.
>
> Chris

Just a few days ago, I was helping a friend build a system (with all
brand new components, I might add) and we had this very problem.  After
sticking in the CPU and RAM and hooking up and turning on the PSU, the
green LED on the motherboard turns on.  However, the second the power
button is pressed, everything flashes for a second, then turns back off.
The green LED on the motherboard also remains on.  The only way to get
it to flash again is to turn off the PSU, wait, then turn it back on.
We tried re-seating everything, to no avail.

Reading this thread, someone else mentioned beep codes and that if there
were none, it's most likely a fried motherboard.

Can anyone else confirm this?

~Corey