Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:26:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
Cc:        david@banning.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: increasing task performance question

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 02:15:46AM -0500, David Banning wrote:
> > Using an mp3 player on my 100mhz pentium (mp3blaster)
> > causes sputtering - my machine is probably not fast enough.
> > It only drops out maybe once per song -
> >
> > Isn't there a command that puts a greater percentage of the system
> > resources into a single task?
> >
> > That would be useful during times when my only purpose for the
> > machine is to play music in my house.
>
> I managed to be able to play music on such an old machine with
> starting mpg123 with the -2 option and lots of buffering. But on
> the other hand, I had to start X with it also.
>
> Man rtprio or man idprio should give you some help also.

And try mpg123 from the command line (to save the memory x uses and look
at the -b option from the mpg123 manpage to increase the buffering that
Edwin was talking about.  Try using the maximum amount that you can of
available memory.
	Also try renice as somebody else suggested or nice to start the
player.
man renice
man nice

							Tim