Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:21:24 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble Reading Tape, Drive or Software?

On Thursday, 10 February 2000 at 15:44:58 -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> Last night, I did a backup of a machine and piped the dump output over
> ssh to another machine which then put the data on tape. The command on
> the remote host was basically something like,
>
>    dump -ua0f -  / | ssh tape-server dd of=/dev/nrsa0
>
> However, I cannot now read the tape. I first just tried stuff like,
>
>   # restore -tvf /dev/nrsa0
>
> But it would report it was not a dump tape. It seemed like it might be
> a blocksize issue, so I tried to reverse the process,
>
>   # dd if=/dev/nrsa0 | restore -tvf -
>
> But no good. dd(1) gives me the following (this is cut and paste of an
> attempt to just read the tape to a file),
>
> dd if=/dev/nrsa0 of=var.dmp
> dd: Feb 10 11:12:58 backmail /kernel: (sa0:aha0:0:6:0): 10240-byte tape record bigger than suplied buffer

This message is telling you that the system can't read the block
because there's nowhere to put it.  The block is 10 kB long, so you
need to write:

  # dd if=/dev/nrsa0 of=var.dmp bs=10k

The error isn't specific to tapes, but it happens there most
frequently because tape records are usually blocked.

Greg