Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 04:34:41 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: maxusers and random system freezes

Thus spake Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>:
> Well, now I made KVA space 2G, we'll see later on if it helps to get rid
> of the sudden system halts, but for some reason a side-effect has
> appeared: pthread_create function returns EAGAIN error now, so I had to
> recompile the software using it with linux threads to make it working.
> With the old kernel these pieces worked without problems. Can it be that
> somehow the enlarged KVA space messed up with the threads mechanism?

I'm not a pthreads expert, but my best guess is that your program
tried to create a thread with a stack address that was too high.
Remember that with a 2 GB KVA, user processes have only 2 GB to
play with instead of 3 GB, so attempting to mmap() a stack above
about 2 GB would cause pthread_create() to return EAGAIN.