Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:25:47 -0700
From:      Aaron Kaufman <aaron@aaronkaufman.com>
To:        Christian Barthel <bc@nyx.user-mode.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alternative windowmanagers

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

Christian,

As far as tiling window managers go I highly recommend Scrotwm
[x11-wm/scrotwm]. The configuration is straight forward and getting it up a=
nd
running is a breeze. I have been happily using it for the past few years and
I don't see myself going back. Just keep in mind there aren't any bells and
whistles included, just how a WM should be :D

Good luck,

Aaron

On  9:12:14PM, Christian Barthel <bc@nyx.user-mode.org> wrote:
> Hello,=20

> I read on slashdot that Linus Torvalds moved from Gnome 2.3x to Xfce. It
> seems that he isn't thrilled by xfce, but it's far better than Gnome3.=20

> As a Gnome 2.3x user too, I am also a bit nervouse. Gnome 3 is a big
> mistake. And there are also rumors that Gnome will be Linux only. Maybe,
> we will never see Gnome3 under FreeBSD, but this is not a tragedy :)

> I am not very interested in eyecandy: I want a stable and fast wm (less
> memory and cpu, quick access to important places), different workspaces,
> and it should be configurable with ordinary files. Of course, It must
> run under FreeBSD.=20

> I sniffed into AfterStep, fvwm2 and fluxbox (I don't want to use KDE). I
> think, fluxbox is a nice wm and for my future, it will be the default wm
> for me. It's also very fast and easy to configure.=20

> Are there any other window manager worth looking?=20

> What is your window manager?=20

> --=20
> Christian Barthel=20

> Public-Key: http://bc.user-mode.org/bc.asc=20