Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:42:41 -0400
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        Mark Ibell <marki@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MFS Sizing Problems

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 07:14:19PM +1200, Mark Ibell wrote:
: "Jerry A!" wrote:
: >
: > I'm trying to get an mfs /tmp set up on a box running 4.4-PRERELEASE
: > (20010810).
: >
: > There are two issues I'm running into.
: >
: > 1. No matter what size I give via the "-s" option, the partition is
: > never larger than 500M.  This machine has a 1g of physical mem and 2g of
: > swap.  It has breathing room for the 800M I would prefer to make /tmp.
:
: Do you by any chance have more than one swap partition? MFS will only
: use the *specified* swap device as a backing store.

No, I have one huge 2g swap partition that I'm using as the backing
store.  My guess is that I'm hitting the limits for whatever algorithm
MFS is using to determine it's max size.  To date, I have not been able
to discern how this limit is reached and how to change it.

: > 2. Undaunted, I decided to use the 500M for right now, realizing that
: > when I compiled X it would end up having to swap to disk.  However, that
: > never happened.  The 500m in /tmp filled up, but never swapped any of
: > itself out to disk.

And this issue is the one that is really getting me.  I thought that the
entire purpose of the swap-based backing store was for MFS to dump it's
contents.  Am I misunderstanding this correctly?

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 703.599.6023               ||  matter of life or death...
email: jerry@thehutt.org          ||  ...It's much more important