Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 14:37:06 +0100
From:      Ben Wilkinson <ben@newnet.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-ATM <atm@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   AM Errors and Config problem

Hi,

We have an ATM ds3 connection from our premises in the south of England
all the way to London. At each end we have two FreeBSD machines with
Fore 200E ATM cards. Since the cards are 155 Mbit, we employ the use of
two Metrodata ATM 5300 SW DSU devices, which should convert the data
rate from 155 Mbit to 45 Mbit and vice versa in reverse. The problem is
that after everything is supposedly configured, when I send some data
down the link to the other end(i.e. A PING), sure enough it appears at
the other end, but only as an input error on the interface.

Here is some data about the configuration we are using.

MACHINE 1   IP  212.87.77.145 netmask 255.255.255.252

atm# atm show stat vcc
                        Input    Input  Input  Output   Output  Output
Interface  VPI   VCI     PDUs    Bytes   Errs    PDUs    Bytes    Errs
hfa0         0   126        0        0  146244    1068    98212      0

atm# atm show stat int
             Input    Input  Input  Output   Output Output    Cmd
Interface     PDUs    Bytes   Errs    PDUs    Bytes   Errs   Errs
hfa0             0        0  146244    1068    98212      0      0

atm# atm show conf
Intf      Vendor    Model     Media           Bus   Serial No
hfa0      Fore      PCA-200E  OC-3c           PCI   6577520
    MAC address = 00:20:48:64:5d:70
    Hardware version = 2.0.1
    Firmware version = 3.0.1

atm# atm show int
Interface  Sigmgr   State
hfa0       SIGPVC   ACTIVE
    ATM address = -
    Network interfaces: fa0

atm# atm show vcc
Interface  VPI   VCI  AAL   Type Dir    State    Encaps   Owner
hfa0         0   126  AAL5  PVC  InOut  ACTIVE   LLC/SNAP IP

atm# atm show ipvcc
Net Intf  VPI   VCI  State   Flags IP Address
fa0         0   126  ACTIVE  PLM   atm-th.cams.newnet.co.uk
(212.87.77.146)

MACHINE 2    IP  212.87.77.146 netmask 255.255.255.252

atm# atm sho stat vcc
                        Input    Input  Input  Output   Output Output
Interface  VPI   VCI     PDUs    Bytes   Errs    PDUs    Bytes   Errs
hfa0         0   126        0        0    715  146244  9377508      0

atm# atm sho stat int
             Input    Input  Input  Output   Output Output    Cmd
Interface     PDUs    Bytes   Errs    PDUs    Bytes   Errs   Errs
hfa0             0        0    715  146244  9377508      0      0

atm# atm sho conf
Intf      Vendor    Model     Media           Bus   Serial No
hfa0      Fore      PCA-200E  OC-3c           PCI   6580637
    MAC address = 00:20:48:64:69:9d
    Hardware version = 2.0.1
    Firmware version = 3.0.1

atm# atm sho int
Interface  Sigmgr   State
hfa0       SIGPVC   ACTIVE
    ATM address = -
    Network interfaces: fa0

atm# atm sho vcc
Interface  VPI   VCI  AAL   Type Dir    State    Encaps   Owner
hfa0         0   126  AAL5  PVC  InOut  ACTIVE   LLC/SNAP IP

atm# /atm sho ipvcc
Net Intf  VPI   VCI  State   Flags IP Address
fa0         0   126  ACTIVE  PLM   atm-cams.th.newnet.co.uk
(212.87.77.145)

The machines have been running on FreeBSD 4.2/4.3 but are both now on
3.5.1 and our aim it to setup one PVC between the two computers enabling
us to route our ip traffic between the two locations. We have enabled
flow control so as not to overload the ds3 link, and have tried various
different configurations.

Also commands we used to initiate the PVC are:

atm set netif hfa0 fa 1

atm attach hfa0 sigpvc

atm add pvc hfa0 0 126 aal5 snap ip fa0 <remote end IP>

I have basicly read through any infomation I have been able to find on
the subject, including the FreeBSD web site, and I get the impression
that this is a setup that should work.
If anyone knows of anything we might be doing wrong, help would be
gladly appreciated.

Regards

Ben Wilkinson