Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:09:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   If you think people use FreeBSD for server, you must've been outta school for long long time!

Hi,

As far as I know, at Virginia Tech, especially in Physics +
mathematics department, most of us use either Linux, FreeSD, and other
flavors of UNICES for non i386 machines.  In we have Windows 2000
installed for those computers that anyone can surf on internet for info.
Everyone that I know of uses Linux or FreeBSD for his/her desktop use, not
server use.  Why do we prefer to use Linux/FreeBSD over Windows for
desktop use?  Well, all the C++/C/FORTRAN/LATEX.... /PDF, GHOSTSCRIPT
converters are all free!  For Windows, that would cost thousands of $$.
Plus the simulations run faster on Linux and FreeBSD.  Maybe 3 yrs ago,
both Linux and FreeBSD were for servers only.  Servers are easy to make!
Now, Linux and FreeBSD are mainly used as a desktop for most people using
it.  How many server administrators do you think are in U.S. compared to
the desktop UNIX users?  Physics department has 2 server administrator
(they use Redhat Linux) compared to 40 Graduate students, 38 faculties
with 70% using either Linux or FreeBSD.  If you keep tieing FreeBSD with
server market, you're only hurting FreeBSD community.  Desktop is the
king!  I sure don't use much of the server side of the FreeBSD on my
machine.  Who cares!  However, I expect my FreeBSD to fly when I'm
computing serious problems.  If FreeBSD's going to ever survive in this
world, it needs to compete with Linux, Windows, OS X in desktop market!

Sung N. Cho