Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:39:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Greg=20Quinlan?= <gwq_uk@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad Floppy causes Kernel Panic (3.4-RC)

Hi All,

Operating on a cvsup-ed 3.4-RC 10-12-99:

I had a bad floppy which I was trying to "tar" to but
my server kernel panic-ed with the message:

fd0c: hard error writing fsbn ....
Dirty Buffers

kernel panic

etc....

When I have tried to reproduce it (ie. damage a floppy
and "tar" to it) I got a similar message but NO panic.

I put the original floppy back and "tar"-ed to it
again, and  the system panic-ed and rebooted. So it
was unique to this floppy.

When I tried formating the floppy (fdformat) I got:

EVVVVVVVVV......

So it appears to be that the very first part of the
floppy was bad and this caused the kernel panic.

ALSO:

The more annoying problem was when I tried tar-ing to
the floppy I delibrately damaged. The tar program
could not be killed and I was forced to reboot.

Thanks

Greg