Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:23:47 +0000
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Adrian Urquhart <adrian@urquhart-consultancy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble installing to sun blade 1500

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 04:13:20PM +0000, Adrian Urquhart wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
> > I'm new to sun, but have some experiece installing fbsd to
> > i386, alpha and ia64.
> >
> > I've sun blade 1500: http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/sunblade1500/
> >
> > I just burned a 8.0 release cd, and tried to boot from it.
> > I've a keyboard, mouse and screen attached.
> > I get to OK prompt, type "boot cdrom", but the process
> > stops after a few seconds with:
> >
> > 	jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0088000.
> >
> > Then nothing, and the keyboard is not responsive.
> > I have to force cold reset. On restart the process
> > repeats.
>
> Hi
>
> I know on some Sun kit this can mean that the boot process is now
> carrying on via a serial port.

ok, I'll try to check this out.

In the meantime I tried 7.2 cd with very similar result - I'm stuck with

	jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0078000

> > Also, there seem to be no reset button on the desktop.
> > Is there a keyboard key or combination to force a reset?
> >

> Not sure what you mean by "reset button" but STOP-A is the usual key
> combination to get you to the OpenBOOT prom.

yes, this was what I'm after. STOP/A doesn't seem to have any
effect on my box. Do you mean hit "A" while "STOP" is pressed?

many thanks
anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht