Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2018 18:54:54 +0200
From:      Kai Otto <kai_otto@duckster.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=c3=a9?= <royger@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: merged PVHv2 support and future plans

On 13/08/18 19:19, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 05:24:04PM +0200, Kai Otto wrote:
>> On 30/07/18 12:19, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
>>> Packages for Xen 4.11 are now available in pkg.
>>>
>>> Remember that in order to use those you need a very recent FreeBSD
>>> kernel (r336475 or newer) and the Xen command line has slightly changed,
>>> so dom0=pvh must be used instead of dom0pvh in order to boot. I will
>>> see about changing this in the handbook.
>>>
>>> Roger.
>>>

>> Hi Roger,
>> I tried to get some VMs running on
>> FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180802-r337160.
>> System is a Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ mainboard with dual Intel E5-2680v2
>> (ivy bridge).
[...]
>> When using xen-tools411/xen-kernel411, I can boot without problems, but
>> when running "xl create", neither a PVH nor HVM config work (see configs
>> and logs attached).
>> They both throw "libxl: info:
>> libxl_create.c:109:libxl__domain_build_info_setdefault: qemu-xen is
>> unavailable, using qemu-xen-traditional instead: No such file or directory"
>
> Hello,
>
> This is a mistake of the port makefile which should be fixed in
> r477080 that I've just committed. I hope updated packages will be
> generated soon. Thanks for the testing!

Hello again :-)

Today I gave it another try with FreeBSD 12.0-ALPHA3 r338287 and the
current packages for xen-tools411 and xen-kernel411. Sadly, I didn't get
very far, even with the above bug being fixed.
When attempting to start a HVM config, the console (xl console <domain>)
stays empty and unresponsive.
Connecting via vnc, the screen only shows this message: "Guest has not
initialized the display (yet)".
When repeatedly running 'xl list', I can see that the domU almost
consumes 1 second of CPU per second walltime.

Trying out PVH, the console also doesn't show any sign of life, and VNC
says: "This VM has no graphic display device."
Running 'xl list' shows, that the domU consumed about 1.4s of CPU, and
then switched to 'blocked' state.

I can't see any errors in the log file either.

Do you or anyone else have a working .cfg file that you could share, or
any ideas what might be going wrong?

- Kai