Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:07:53 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, rb@gid.co.uk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd writer recommendation?

At Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:40:59 -0700 (PDT),
Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

> :For backup, I bought DVD-RAM drive for $400.
> :5.2GB(double side) media is around $35, you can use them as 2.3GB x 2
> :disks.
> :
> :Enabling raw-write in scsi_cd.c, you can newfs/mount DVD-RAM as UFS.
> :Write speed is around 500KB/s, and read speed is around 1.4MB/s.
> :
> :--
> :/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
>
>     Isn't that the drive with the enclosed DVD disk -- kinda like a permanent
>     caddy?  I've avoided the DVD-RAM drives because of that and because the

Type I(double side) is with a permanent caddy, but TypeII(single side)
can be pulled out from the enclosure and supposed to be read by
DVD-ROM drives.

>     standard is still going through major changes.  I expect those drives
>     to become obsolete very quickly once the technology settles down.  But in
>     a year or two when the DVD-writers come down in price I'll probably
>     start using them.

Right. Another standard is already proposed, but as for backup device,
it's not so much problem.

--
/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp