Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 14:37:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        Orion Hodson <hodson@icir.org>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ADI 1885 audio support

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Randy Bush wrote:

> but, running apps such as mpg123 produces no sound.

I have found that often the mixer parameters are not actually set in
the hardware.  e.g.  The kernel thinks the mixer has channels up
around 75 but the card itself thinks the channels are all muted.

To actually set the hardware to the current kernel setting I use:

    mixer `mixer -s`

Sometimes (I think) two of these command appear to be necessary to
really set the audio hardware correctly.

> interestingly, though mpg123 is not whining, a clue may be that
> xmixer's speaker colum has an X at the bottom.

In xmixer, the "X" (on top of a microphone icon) on the bottom center
indicates a channel which can be set as a recording input but isn't
currently enabled.  The icon on the left indicates if the left and
right channels are locked or independent controls.

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone