Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:20:43 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        matt <matt@grogged.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick snd_driver question

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 05:50:30PM -0600, matt wrote:

 > I haven't been following freebsd-sparc64 too closely lately, so forgive me
 > if this has been asked before (Doesn't seem to stand out as an issue in
 > the list archives...)
 >
 > I just updated my AXi machine to 6-current.  Just for fun I stuck an old
 > ensoniq 5880 based pci card in the thing, but I can't seem to get
 > the card recognized.  Checking /boot/kernel, I only have sound.ko and
 > snd_audiocs.ko modules insofar as anything related to sound support
 > available.  The 5.3R release notes for sparc64 indicate that the sound
 > drivers have been "reorganized" - but I don't even see them being built
 > when I compile a kernel, either on 5.3R or 6-current.  (Adding kernel
 > options "device sound" or "device "snd_XXXX"" doesn't seen to make a
 > difference one way or another) - So of course, the soundcard is not
 > recognized at boot, and I don't have the proper module to load as an
 > lkm.  So my questions:

At present, on-board CS4231A audio controllers on SBus/EBus are
supported. Other PCI audio controllers may work unless it has
DMA address space limits. Due to the high location of DVMA
address, sparc64 requires 32bit DMA capable H/W. And most cheap
PCI audio cards does not support full 32bit DMA address space. :-(

Quick looking the es137x source, it indicates it has no DMA address
limitation. So I guess it will work if you build snd_es137x.ko
module.

#cd /usr/src/sys/modules/sound/driver/es137x
#make
#kldload ./snd_es137x.ko

 > Is there working support for pci audio cards under sparc64?  Anyone have
 > it working?

Creative Audigy may work with small patches(endian conversion).
But I don't have the card and have no way to test it. Live! and
Trident 4D Wave PCI does not work due to the limit of DMA address
space.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon