Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:45:03 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Leonard Chung <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        kline@tao.thought.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad IDE Drive

At 01:17 PM 10/10/00 -0700, Leonard Chung wrote:
>Yes, I'm aware of the differing RPMs. SCSI drives actually now are up to
>15,000RPM to it shouldn't be long before IDE is up to 10KRPM.
>
>The differing RPMs is more of a marketing decision than any inherent
>limitation in IDE itself. SCSI is a premium product, so it gets the higher
>RPMs first and sometimes bigger buffers, but again, this is due not to the
>SCSI bus having higher performance. Where the focus is on spindle speed
>for SCSI, the focus for IDE is on areal density. IDE drives actually give
>better performance for the dollar in MAPS (megabyte accesses per second),
>KAPS (kilobyte accesses/s), and much better performance in sequential
>performance (i.e. all round) and for that price, you get the benefit of
>redundancy. So with IDE you get better performance and less cost.

This smells like a techie sales pitch.  Little meaningful info regardless
of terms and large words.  Did I mention I'm a hard sell?

You would need follow up with figures that involve more than one
transaction.  Many more.  The hardware may be similar, but the interface is
where the "real world" difference will be evident in a busy production
environment.

The vagaries referring to price I must presume are talking about RAID
arrays (otherwise it's non-scenical).  Seeing a comparison between the same
array with IDE vs SCSI would be interesting.  Drives should have very
similar numbers using your comparison.

With IDE I think most would agree that initial cost will be
lower.  However, longevity counts, so total cost for the lifecycle should
be considered.  The longer the period, the more likely that IDE will end up
costing more.

Going strictly by drive specs and current street cost isn't near enough to
sell me, and  surely others, on your ideas.  Don't take offense either,
there just seem to be a few holes that need to be fixed.  Even if you are
referring to a workstation or single user application where I have opted
for older "slower" SCSI drives than years newer IDE drives for performance
reasons.

Anxiously awaiting the test results...  8-)

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve