Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 16:00:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: size of root (was Re: Debugging Kernel....)

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Perhaps its time to up the default suggested size of / ?  In this day and
> age of 13G IDE drives, having 150MB for root would be a more safe value no
> ? On the machines I configure I generally give myself this much at least.

Having read this, I wonder how I can change the size of / without having
to re-install the whole system. Currently I'm using the default size
FreeBSD has choosen for /, but what do I do if the default size should
some day turn out to be too small, I think a re-installation is required
then, isn't it? I also think that the FreeBSD installation program should
should rather create a bigger than a too small / by default. Many users,
especially those installing FreeBSD for the first time, cannot forsee the
size they could need in the future and so they decide to let FreeBSD set
the size of the slices since they think that's the safest bet. These users
will get pretty mad when they note that after some time they get serious
problems with the size of their root partition.

Greetings,
Nils
...Let your dreams out of their cages,
Every passion and desire