Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:42:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feature request:  Store dist file size somewhere

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:

> A small feature request: would it be possible to store the size of the
> distfile(s) somewhere in the ports tree, files/size perhaps?

It's surely possible :)

> I'm in the middle of installing x11-wm/enlightenment on a fresh 4.0
> system, and the number of other files it depends on is somewhat excessive.
> Being able to get some idea of how big the distfiles are beforehand (which
> could be printed out as part of the fetch-list target) would suggest as to
> whether or not it's a task to be postponed until there's more free time
> to watch the modem.
>
> No patches yet, because I don't know if someone else is already planning
> this, or what other people's ideas of the best way to implement it would
> be.

I think it would be a worthwhile idea..fairly easy to automatically add,
too. Something like the 'make makesum' target could generate the size list
for all the existing ports.

An alternative idea is to add the ability to display the file size to
md5(1) at the source, and just switch bsd.port.mk to using the new flag
and storing the size in files/md5.

Kris

----