Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 17:26:21 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: physical security (was Re: New boot blocks for serial console ... )

At 01:36 PM 1/4/99 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>Which, the last one?  It's been done in .au several times; the one where
>I first heard about it they took a machine that'd just been loaded for a
>long weekend (about AUD$800,000).  They hadn't planned properly for
>getting it open though; the dynamited remains were found a few weeks
>later, with all of the cash destroyed.
>
>I believe that in at least several other cases, the machine was
>successfully opened and looted; there's also a legendary story about a
>couple of thieves with one of the indoor-style machines being stopped
>and defected for "saggy suspension" in their ute.  The officer didn't
>notice the ATM, or at least didn't recognise it.

Very intriguing.. You'd think more people would do that in the lush
countryside hole of Maine, USA.  As it goes, I can't say I've heard of
something like that happening :-)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D